[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Allowing others to play my mud

Allowing others to play my mud

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Tseris   (98 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 28 Aug 2011 10:47 PM (UTC)
I previously had my mud (a TBAMud/Circle derivative) up and running but recently was forced to get my OS reinstalled because of other issues. Now Ive attempted to get it back up and am running into this problem.

- The mud will compile and I can play it on localhost, but noone else can connect to it. Ive even attempted to connect on my terminal using the IP and port Im attempting to have others connect to, and that wont connect either.

- The error message I get when attempting is code = 10060 (connection timed out).

- I have configured my router for port forwarding. Previously I had it set up for 192.168.1.9 on port 4000 and it was working. I have tried several different configurations of 192.168.1.x and I get the same error message.

- I temporarily disabled my windows firewall to see if it was interfering but that did not fix it.

- I have read through http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=8369 but I cannot identify what I might be missing. It did not seem like nearly this much trouble last time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I need to supply any further information please ask.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 28 Aug 2011 11:42 PM (UTC)
Make sure you're not telling others your internal IP. That won't work.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 29 Aug 2011 12:09 AM (UTC)
Nope Im not using the internal IP. My router wont let me port forward that IP so I was choosing another.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,001 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 29 Aug 2011 01:49 AM (UTC)
It's no good changing 192.168.1.9 to different numbers, that's just your internal number.

You need to port forward port 4000 at the router to your PC (ie. 192.168.1.9).

Then you tell your friends your external address (ie. the router's address).

If you aren't sure what it is something like this will tell you:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

So your friends connect to the external address (the router address) port 4000. The router forwards port 4000 to your PC (eg. 192.168.1.9), and then they should be able to play.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 29 Aug 2011 02:35 AM (UTC)
Okay. I attempted to port forward 192.168.1.9 port 4000, then have someone attempt to connect to my external IP at port 4000, but I got the following error in the client:

Error occurred during phase: Connecting to world: <external address>, port 4000.

It would make sense to me that if Im port forwarding the port to my computer, I should use 192.168.1.1, which is my internal number, but when I try that I get

"Server IP address cannot be router's LAN IP address"

on my router setup page.

Now something that might be a fly in the ointment is that the only terminal I can test on right now is one that is connected wireless through my same router. But for whatever reason I was able to connect before on that terminal just the same as other friends miles away.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (23,001 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Mon 29 Aug 2011 03:38 AM (UTC)
No, you need to forward to the internal address of the PC. Doing ifconfig or similar on the PC with the MUD on it will tell you its internal address.

The router can't forward to itself.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 29 Aug 2011 03:48 AM (UTC)
Got it. I had originally used ipconfig to find my internal address, but I was reading the wrong line. I was attempting to use "Default Gateway", when I needed to use "IPv4 Address".

Changed the router port forward to the IPv4 Address and was able to connect using the external IP. Thanks again Nick. You're the man.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

24,194 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]