[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  SSH/Telnet Tunneling

SSH/Telnet Tunneling

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by IAmSlime   USA  (26 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 04 Mar 2006 06:47 PM (UTC)
Hey, I'm havin' some issues I was figurin' you guys might be able to help me solve...

When I'm at my workstation, there's this program called FORTRESS or something that keeps me from being able to install programs or change most settings via the Windows GUI... I grabbed a copy of CygWin.. I -cannot- get the Telnet or SSH features to work properly so that I may connect to any MU*s... I'm probably not using the correct format, on TOP of the fact that port 23 seems to be disabled... Is it possible for me to redine which ports Telnet signals go out/in through and/or what is the proper syntax for SSH/Telnet usage in CygWin?

Thanks.

"Life Sucks, Then You Die."
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 04 Mar 2006 11:51 PM (UTC)
There are a number of issues here... For one, are you telnetting to the MUD, or to the shell? If you're telnetting to the MUD, you need to use the MUD's port, which might be blocked by this fortress program of yours. If you're connecting to the shell, then you're using the telnet/ssh ports, which might also be blocked (but that'd be a bit surprising).

So what exactly is your situation? It's hard to know how to help without knowing exactly what's going on.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Conner   USA  (381 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 12:20 AM (UTC)
and either way, it sounds as though you're trying to do this from work where you may not be able to access the firewall (which is what I assume this fortress program probably is) and most of the time port access issues have to be 'handled' at the firewall.

-=Conner=-
--
Come test your mettle in the Land of Legends at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
or, for a little family oriented medieval fun, come join us at The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org
or, if you just want information about either, check our web page at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Samson   USA  (683 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 01:51 AM (UTC)
If this "fortress" program is anything like the firewall we have where I work, the only thing it's going to let out are HTTP requests to port 80, HTTPS requests to port 443, and SSH2 requests to port 22. Everything else is blocked hardcore. And there's nothing you'll be able to do about it without raising the attention of your IT department.

That being said, if your company allows SSH2 on port 22, you could try connecting to an outside shell and then from there tenletting to the mud you are trying to reach. Longshot, but it's the only method I have at my disposal.

And before you go off and think "hey, port 80, I can use a java mud client!", don't. I thought the same thing, and was slapped down pretty hard. Can't account for that one, but it's something else to consider.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 02:06 AM (UTC)
You actually don't have to connect to a remote host and then telnet from there. You can set up a tunnel to the remote host, and then connect to your local port of the tunnel.

But yes, Samson is right: if it's a strict firewall, you're pretty much done for.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 02:56 AM (UTC)
Except that in my case said tunnel would be detected and blocked. Our firewall is what you'd call strict :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by IAmSlime   USA  (26 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 03:00 AM (UTC)
Hehe.. If only I'd check back here a few hours ago.. Thanks for the hustle in answerin' my question.. I actually managed to solve the issue already, using the SSH method. An immortal on our mud set me up an "uber-limited" account on his *nix system, which I then used to telnet to the MUD. Now I just gotta get somethin' on my system that will let me SSH to here instead of usin' up his Hard Drive space.

Thanks, again.

-Slime

"Life Sucks, Then You Die."
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 05:47 AM (UTC)
Damn, your firewall blocks local ports as well? Ouch... :)

Anyhow glad you solved your problem.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 05 Mar 2006 08:38 PM (UTC)
IAmSlime: Gratz on finding the solution on your own. But using your friend's *nix server to pass through for ssh->telnet shouldn't waste any significant disk space other than your empty home directory (which he could even significantly trim down to only a few kilobytes [if that much] if he was concerned about it) and setting up your own *nix server is something I'd strongly encourage for anyone interested in doing so, but if that's your only reason to do so, well, you're talking about setting up a machine to run *nix and then learning enough about it to establish yourself a ssh incoming port with sshd running on it and making sure it's got a firewall that's set up properly too, otherwise you're just creating yourself a system for others to find and abuse for you.

Samson: So, they've got outbound packet checking going on too? Do they log outbound traffic and scan your emails too? :( I've worked at companies that did that before, it wasn't pleasant. :(

Ksilyan: What he's talking about sounds like more than just local port blocking, it sounds like very strict firewall rules with packet inspection to enforce it. Makes for a very tough system to beat, which of course is why a system admin would use it...

-=Conner=-
--
or, for a little family oriented medieval fun, come join us at The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org
or, if you just want information about either, check our web page at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Mon 06 Mar 2006 04:24 AM (UTC)
Yes. They log everything leaving the company. Emails, IM chats, you name it, they log it. The only reason I'm able to connect to my server from work at all is because port 22 is still open. If that was closed too, then it's likely I'd be limited to just using Trillian - and sticking to IM services that encrypt the line so they don't see what I'm doing :)

That being said - our company also employs locally installed packet monitors on *EACH* workstation. Most people don't even know they're on there, but I ran across them when testing some anti-spyware utils for our sales reps.

So for anyone reading this, that's another thing to keep in mind. You may well defeat the barriers, but you're going to be screwed if there are locally installed packet monitors and they check those logs. There's usually a reason sysadmins install restrictive firewalls. They don't want people doing precisely what we're all doing :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Mon 06 Mar 2006 07:27 PM (UTC)
Exactly, the company owns the computers and the bandwidth and is allowed to read every email, log all your instant messages, log your web browsing, block any ports they want to, allow/prohibit any activities they want to, etc.. and there are ways (that are right close to undefeatable) for them to stop, or at least monitor, you from doing anything non-work related if they so chose. For most companies, playing or working on a mud is very definately non-work related and they have every reason not to allow you access to your mud(s) from work. If you happen to work for one of those companies who do employ this sort of stuff, you might well find yourself having to just deal with your mud business during off-hours or you could find you suddenly have far more off-hours... :(

-=Conner=-
--
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

31,498 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]